----- Original Message ----- From: "James Maki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'The Hardware List'" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2007 12:31 AM
Subject: [H] Opteron 185 vs AM2/core2duo new build

I have been contemplating a system upgrade of my AMD64 3700+ system. I know the socket 939 is really at the end of its life, but I hate throwing out the
mb, cpu and memory to upgrade to the AM2 or core2 duo. The high end socket
939 chips have been disappearing. I ran across the Opteron 185, a socket 939

Why hold onto other components that may be obsolete, also, especially if you feel you will have to buy Windows all over again? I do many rebuilds using the existing CPU and carry Windows XP OEM forward and Microsoft approves. Why not simply sell the working computer and build a new one from scratch? My experience has it figured both ways (rebuild vs. sell) and the difference in money outlay is hardly any. The difference if you get all new parts when you build from scratch. The life of my computers is 5 years, not 2. I certainly would not want to use a 2 or 3 year old power supply for a rebuild when I could sell off and build new. To do so would be expecting that power supply to last a total of 7 to 9 years. My new power supply would be of a higher wattage, of course!

Chuck