End of life of a component does not equal obsolesence! I have several Socket
A systems that give 24/7 duty as HTPC/DVRs. Another, an Athlon 3200+ has
motherboard features that you don't see on many systems today, including;
Firewire 400, 4 IDE connections (for a total of 8 drives), IDE RAID, Dual
BIOS, in addition to 2 SATA channels.

> also, especially if you
> feel you will have to buy Windows all over again?

I have no need to purchase Windows again. I have 2 retail copies of Windows
XP Pro and one Windows XP Home I don't even use since I also have a MAPS
subscription giving me 10 licenses for Windows XP Pro, and now Windows Vista
Business Ultimate (which I have been avoiding like the plague).

> Why not simply sell the working computer and build a new one
> from scratch?

With new brand name systems available from the big box stores at the $500
price level, it is difficult to get an adequate return. In addition, I have
a $125 large server case with 2 year old $100+ 550 watt PS I don't plan on
selling.

> My experience has it figured both ways (rebuild vs. sell) and
> the difference
> in money outlay is hardly any.

Perhaps that is your experience, I don't think it holds water in all cases
or situations. For me, the only components I plan on upgrading are the CPU
and memory.

> The difference if you get all new parts when
> you build from scratch. The life of my computers is 5 years, not 2.

The life of my computers is much greater than 5. I have been building my own
systems since 1994. I have purchased only one "brand name" PC (other than
laptops) in that period. I still have a working 1.3GHz Duron system I build
in 2000. Works like a charm. High quality components do last a long time.

> I certainly would not want to use a 2 or 3 year old power
> supply for a rebuild
> when I could sell off and build new. To do so would be
> expecting that power
> supply to last a total of 7 to 9 years. My new power supply
> would be of a
> higher wattage, of course!

I am still using an Antec 300 watt PS with the 1.3MHz Duron system. I am
also using the 440 watt Antec PS I purchased in 2003 to power an Athlon
3200+ system.

I expect the Seasonic 550 watt PS I purchased in 2005 to continue to give
good service for many years.

I tend to recycle my components into less demanding rolls as I upgrade:
HTPC, spare systems for my daughter, single purpose use such as coding Xvid
files, etc.

> Chuck

While the investment in the Operon 185 + DDR RAM would approach the bottom
level AM2 system, it would be about half the cost of a new state of the art
Core 2 Duo system. I would lose my Firewire 800 (no one seems to be putting
the 800 into new MBs) as well as the time and effort to re-install
EVERYTHING! The cost of the Opteron is high enough that I may just put off
any upgrades until I am ready to make the plunge to brand new system. I was
just looking for comments on the pros and cons of the proposed upgrade
versus a new build. While your comments may have some validity, it is not
the central issue I am facing.

Thanks for the input,

Jim Maki
[EMAIL PROTECTED]