----- Original Message ----- From: "James Maki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "'The Hardware List'" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2007 1:43 PM
Subject: RE: [H] Opteron 185 vs AM2/core2duo new build

I have no need to purchase Windows again. I have 2 retail copies of Windows
XP Pro and one Windows XP Home I don't even use since I also have a MAPS
subscription giving me 10 licenses for Windows XP Pro, and now Windows Vista

My comments were to help the typical upgrader to explore the possibilities of simply selling off their old unit and building a new one. As mentioned my main reason for this suggestion is to help people get the most mileage out of three expensive items, the case, the motherboard and Windows XP. Obviously none of my reasoning or suggestions apply to or are useable by you. All I seemed to hear in your post was, "throwing out the
mb, cpu and memory"

Typically there is lots more older technology in a box than those three components, evidently not applicable in your situation. In the typical sell off in preference to upgrade, the older motherboard, cpu and memory get to live on in the box they most likely were installed in originally.

Again, this does not apply in your situation, but I examined a upgrade request for a customer. True, I could have installed a new motherboard and cpu, but he could have benefited even more with a more powerful power supply. The new motherboard would call for a PCI Express video card and PC 5300 RAM. A SATA hard drive would be in order. On and on it goes (not for you, but the typical customer) finding more and more things that just go better together. That "upgrade" turns into a new computer very fast.

You who are far more experienced than I please do not take my comments personal. I am sorry I failed to mention they may not apply to you but can be used by others. I have a habit of using scenarios or posts as a springboard to toss ideas to others who may be considering doing something similar to what you indicate you are doing.

Right off the top of a line item quote, I have saved many customers big bucks in rebuilds by letting their cpu and Windows XP live on (with several other salvageable components, also) in a rebuilt computer.

Chuck