----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Sevart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'The Hardware List'" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2007 2:41 PM
Subject: RE: [H] Seagate drive died

Thane, you also mentioned that most of the failures you see are in
big-vendor boxes...is it possible that those machines outfitted with WD's JB
series drives are also mounted better, or ventilated better, or are fitted
with a better PSU? I don't know one way or another, just suggesting the
possibility that there could be additional variables at play here.

Naturally most all components function better in a large, well ventilated case with an adequate power supply. Who but Dell is famous for omitting the CPU fan in many models. They rely on shrouding the airflow through a rear exhaust vent fan. That, along with the power supply fan makes a whopping total of 2 fans in those Dells. Mine have 2 power supply fans, 2 case fans and the CPU manufacturer's CPU fan, making a total of 5 fans.

True, name brand manufacturers used the cheaper 5400 RPM hard drives for years. I do not care what component we are talking about, if you find a way to build it cheaper and most of them last a year, Dell will be knocking on your door to buy it.

Chuck