Microcenter has OEM bulk drives with ONLY the foil bag anti-static covering them
stacked in "bins" where every customer can handle them and bang them around.
(Can you tell where I would never buy a drive?)

                                           Rick Glazier

From: "Winterlight"
I think it has more to do with how drives are shipped from the vendor. Vendors use to send these out in boxes with big foam inserts, but now you are lucky if they secure it in bubble wrap. I have bought drives that were thrown in a box loose with bubble wrap and were rolling around inside the box when delivered. NewEgg isn't much better.