----- Original Message ----- From: "Winterlight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Hardware List" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2007 11:42 PM
Subject: Re: [H] Seagate drive died

I think it has more to do with how drives are shipped from the vendor. Vendors use to send these out in boxes with big foam inserts, but now you are lucky if they secure it in bubble wrap. I have bought

What does it take to convince people that there are many reasons to avoid name brand computers? In just the hard drive arena, name brand computer manufacturers buy 1 year hard drives. That is all the warranty most offer and they are not going to pay for 5 year hard drives. You can bet the quality of a Seagate or WD 1 year drive is nowhere near the quality of a 5 year drive.

This thread is about other than name brand computers I assume. It is about who you purchase your hard drives from. My supplier, ASI http://www.asipartner.com/ packages their merchandise very well. Not only in packaging does the choice of supplier count, but also in who you buy your hard drive from. Having already been said, the 1 year drives going to the name brand manufacturers are the worst. Do you think Dell buys 3 year drives so they will be covered when a customer purchases the Dell 3 year extended warranty? I doubt it. My bets are Dell takes its chances on a 1 year drive for all Dells and hopes they last long enough to satisfy the Dell 3 year service agreements purchased on some of their computers.

Still, I have not gotten to your situation. Don't you think Seagate and WD ship their best 5 year drives to large wholesalers like ASI who have to continually defend their own reputation to OEM's they sell merchandise to? My bets are any 2nds do not go to ASI. So where do the 2nds go? What about the stores such as Circuit City, Office Depot, New Egg etc.? Why not consider New Egg as 2nd rate in quality? You, (not I) have already slammed the hell out of people like New Egg for crappy shipping. If the shoe fits, wear it.

If you are an OEM who orders multiple units such as hard drives, the solution is easy. Change to a supplier like ASI and get top notch service and packaging etc. If you are not licensed etc. to purchase at wholesale from suppliers like ASI, still avoid folks that do not package properly. Either find an OEM who will supply you or let that OEM build your computers to your specifications. This is if and only if you know that OEM does quality business from the choice of supplier to overall price and quality of components.

The bottom line is no matter who you are, you do not have to settle for 2nd rate packaging or merchandise. You can have quality, if you are an OEM or can find one who is honest and deals only in quality. You will pay a higher price for overall quality in service and product. Cheapskates (those who are bragging about that 500 watt power supply they found on the net for $29.95) should have deleted this post long before getting this far!

Chuck