Yes, "Duh" if you don't have the driver set, an OS
disk & valid key,
don't do the work. That said, kill that little Compaq
partition on some
models (maybe only circa < 2000, haven't worked on a
new one) and loose
access to the BIOS setup. May not keep you from
booting via HDD (since
BIOS reset jumper fixes that much) but it will keep
you from getting in
and changing anything in the BIOS.

"This is a CD, CD's contain DATA. DATA is...." You do
realize Chuck that
most of us here have been doing this as long or longer
than you, right?
Even those of us that haven't probably could get by
with the abridged
version less the sermon and a bit of FUD.

You are not lost of the CD does not boot. There are
other ways of
getting initial XP install on a HDD w/o being able to
boot a CD in the
target system.

As for the Dell guy, all they would do is use the Dell
restore CD to
revert it back to shipping state or they would ship
the unit back to
Dell if it needed more than could be swapped on site.
Compaq of course
would say "ship it back or buy a new PC".

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Ruset"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

out with the crazy
>> partition.
>>

> I do not want to sound like a "know it all" here but
it would be a
> disservice to not inform y'all that I have 10 years
of experience in
> this area. What area? Specifically in cleaning off
hard drives on name
> brand computers and doing clean installs.

<snip>