Thanks for all the help and comments. I was finally able to work with the drive using Acronis Disk Manager. Once I was able to create a Backup partition I was then able to create a drive image backup without error. Just for a test, I unplugged the hard drive and attempted to boot off my flash drive, the Compaq screen didn't appear, but what did appear was a screen reporting available boot devices, the flash drive, and the CD drive and a dialog that asked me which one I wanted to save to setup, and make the default boot device..... so it appears that it can live without that hidden partition.

However, Compaq has me sufficiently alarmed that I am going to backup the primary and leave things as they are.