I removed the hidden partition on my son's Compaq laptop
without any ill effects. I do all partition work with BootIt NG.

It doesn't make sense to put BIOS code on the HD because
a PC needs to be able to start the boot process from the BIOS
even when the HD is defective, or in case you want to boot
from a CD or floppy disk.

Gary VanderMolen