Tharin,
Thanks for reply AND the first solid facts I've seen for this small blue box. (more inline below...)

At 19:45 12/09/2007 -0800, you wrote:
Hrmm I've installed many of these Netopia ADSL gateways for "business grade" dsl customers in my area. The Cayman units require a special key file be installed to unlock certain capabilities. I don't know whether yours might be locked for SBC region or what kind of settings you will have access to.
That 'special key file' may be our problem. We can get into the expert mode and check/set whatever settings/features we can see, which appear to be all of them. Yet, whenever we validate the changes and get a 'passed' result, the save/restart most often sends the modem out into the toolies! A 'reset to factory settings' brings it back and we can start over. I spent Saturday and Sunday with it and finally just gave up frustrated.

The Netopia/Cayman is what my Brother-in-law snagged from his home dsl network. The story goes that it was left at his work-20 several years ago during a first attempt at business dsl. His company is now using the same Bellsouth dsl as I do (but probably business class). His other choice was a retma-rack size (huge) box (forgot name). The netopia/cayman came plain w/o docs or support cd/files. The price was right. Free! Yes, the modem does seem to be pre-configured for SBC.

The major problem is that the modem seems to work. The router seems to work. But if modem is connected to router's WAN port the router will not connect to/thru the modem. My current bandaid was to just plug the modem in the router's switch port1 and plug the 3 PC's into the other switch ports of the router. By telling the PCs to use the cayman as the GW (192.168.1.254), all get a DHCP address and can surf the internet via the modem alone. And this even as the modem 'says' it is in a bridged mode. Most confusing.

The main thing with configuring a DSL modem of any sort is to be sure you are using the proper VPI and VCI settings. Most SBC modems come with a setting of 0/35. I think Bellsouth uses 8/35. Ask Bell's tech support if you need to confirm it. Encapsulation should be PPPOE. Multiplexing should be set to LLC.

Interesting. I now see that this is very much wrong. Was in the modem yesterday and recall the VCI was 1. Can not recall the VPI setting. Yes, suspect the modem is only half setup correctly. Bellsouth TS was very hazy about it late last week. Seems the cayman is very long tooth at Bellsouth now. We are still trying to figure out which newer f/w might be of help, if any. Bellsouth has confirmed that the current v6.3.0r7 is most likely too old to be compatible. Bellsouth offered to send a "free" replacement modem when/if oldest son calls back today.........
I am hoping Bellsouth sends a re-man'd westell 6100!

A google search turned up this doc for configuring the device for Bridging.
http://www.netopia.com/support/technotes/hardware/CQG_020.html

Thank you very much. I'll get this asap and study. Yesterday study at dslreports re:3341 just got me mostly other problems in other parts of the country. But, I did surmise that the 3341 is used on Earthlink, SBC, and widely used in Enterprise installs. None of which apply to this attempt to re-use! Hmm.

When did this come into the picture I thought you had a Westell modem and Dlink router???

Nooo, it is not mine! This is a new dsl install at my Sister's home. Seems her two boys are now tired of playing AoE and WoW via a 33.6 dial-up modem! For Father, I think it might be a bit of "keeping up with the Jones" too (me)! Yes, I am using a bridged westell 6100 and dgl-4300 router. Since moving the MWO, the modem/router have remained up and locked for the past 4 days 21.5hours!

-Tharin O.

DHSinclair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Does anyone have any experience with the subject dsl modem?
Its' f/w is 6.3.0r7.  It appears to know all about ATT.

I've just spent 2 days trying to get one to work here in Bellsouth-land
with an Intellinet #523295 router.  No go no way.
I am very close to turning in my 'network' badge!
I may do it anyway. These new smart modems w/"features" are a real
Best,