I'll concede that I'm basing my opinion only off systems I've had to fix, so it
is not a fair representative of the greater population of users. I've
definitely had problems with both.

I should also mention that as AVG installs have been getting larger, I'm
concerned about unnecessary bloat eventually becoming an issue with them also.
I have found that the newest AVG doesn't always install smoothly and had a
couple machines I couldn't get it to run on. I had to use avast.

lopaka

Wayne Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: At 12:08 PM 1/11/2008, Robert Martin
Jr. typed:
>I totally agree with Chris on this one. In the past 2-3 years I've
>noticed severe bloat in both norton and mcafee. I've seen more
>problems with both of these adversely affecting other software. I've
>had to fix a lot of boxes that had problems caused solely by mcafee
>(worse of the two IMHO) and norton software.

I respectfully disagree as I've had much more difficulty removing
Symantec products that I have McAfee.

>I just tuned up a fairly new dell laptop for an employee and removed
>mcafee software because of problems it was causing. Guess what?
>After uninstalling the mcafee package, half the applications
>wouldn't work anymore. I had to use the restore feature to go back 2
>days, then download a removal tool for mcafee to remove a huge
>amount of garbage that remains after the uninstall.

I've a new Dell D830 laptop configured to the hilt & have had no
problems with McAfee Corporate Edition other than having to change
some of it's configuration which I find important in all AV apps. I
even removed it to use AVG instead to see if I could increase
performance. I did but only about 5% improvement yet AVG didn't work
as well as McAfee Corporate Edition. Event tho I bought mine through
the Small Business division because it detects better than AVG I put
it back on the laptop & will gladly suffer the 5% loss if that in
performance. I hear that Symantec Corp Ed is a much better product
than their consumer product as well.

>Once I got that off, the machine works a lot better and has no
>remaining issues. I've had similar problems with norton last year
>and will never use either personally, or recommend either to anyone.

Sorry to hear that you had any problems with McAfee. One year they
sold their off the shelf version with the Screen Scan enabled & that
was the biggest problem they ever had til then. I've noticed that
they no longer have the Screen Scan enabled by default. I do have to
agree it seems to take up quite a bit of HD space.

I'm a geek that loves to tweak.