No concern? Then you are missing a few details about
why Artificial DD5.1 (hell even
2.1) from 2.0 is valuable:

1. all four speakers get audio vs. 2
2. can set a low-pass filter on the subwoofer
3. all speakers levels are directly controllable,
4. can add a DSP effect if you really want simulated
surround sound.
5. Running three 3.5mm stereo cables across my desk is
unacceptable.

The Logitech Z-680 seems to mix some of the channels
together vs. discrete 6ch if you
use analog 6ch direct mode and PL-II mode sucks big
time, period. If I did use the 3
patches, I'd still need an SPDIF for passing DVD audio
in digital (which also seems
broken on this card).

Bottom line I want to use digital not analog to attach
to my speakers which means
DD5.1 like I had been doing for the past 5 years! Asus
could have saved me $50 by not
bundling this pile of shit with my mobo and I would
not be complaining now.

Hayes Elkins wrote:

> If the material you are playing is not native DD/DTS
source material, I don't see the concern with it being
passed through spdif/toslink in its native 2.0 format
as long as your receiver or speaker system expands it
using PL-II or whatever matrix to get 5.1 out of your
speakers (if having a stero signal artifically
expanded to 5.1 is your cup of tea that is). DD live
and what your NV sound did was basically the same
thing, just at the sound card (earlier in the chain).

>> Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 19:23:12 -0700
>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<snip>
>> Solution: Looking for a either a replacement for
the
>> soundcard that does encode it's
>> output to toslink unto DD thus not forcing me to go
>> the analog route *OR* a way to
>> convert the 6-channel analog back into DD so I can
>> continue to use my Logitech Z-680
>> speakers via toslink.

Be a better friend, newshound, and