> I agree that we are in the era of "good enough" computing and it
> doesn't
> matter how superior Core i7 is because the bottle necks are in other
> parts of the system and that means primarily the hard drive. I'm

Eh, that's a pretty tired argument. While it's true that disk performance
has not kept pace, it isn't true to say that increases in processor
performance are pointless. There are a lot of workloads that do benefit from
pure CPU performance and place little emphasis on i/o--like H.264 encoding,
which is the main reason I run a quad, and the main reason I'm interested in
i7.

> worried about a market with only one CPU manufacturer and what it would
> mean about mainstream afford ability. I have not given in to the
> temptation of Intel and my Athlon 5400+ BE is fast enough even without
> over clocking. Deneb isn't here until February or March but I too look
> forward to it.

And that's what it is all about. Find a product that fits your needs. The BE
5400+ may fit your needs perfectly; it doesn't fit mine. AMD doesn't offer
anything right now that is a good fit for me.

Insofar as the "one-vendor" concern, I think that with the spinoff of AMD's
fabrication plants, AMD's solvency has increased such that the risk of them
failing has largely evaporated. There is a tremendous debt load associated
with building, running, and maintaining fabs that they've been able to shed.
I do wonder, however, if moving chip manufacturing out of house will
ultimately diminish AMD's ability to execute effectively. That's assuming
that they're able to retain their x86 license, of course. :)

Greg