If you place progs and utils on another drive letter, 4-8 Gigs is sufficient.

That is, if the swap file is set to a static size (e.g. 1.5*RAM)

DHSinclair wrote:
What is a reasonable partition size for WinXP?
I ask this because I have watched both W2K and WinXP getting close to outgrowing the 4GB partitions they live on (here) ATM.

Yes, there may be much junk that I have not yet found/killed on either that might mitigate this question. I do keep all %temp%, temp, and tmp directories at 'empty' as best I can. I do use eraser to clear unused space also. Still, I find the OS (and my stupidity) is expanding. I did expect this; just not this fast.
Thank you,