At 08:57 AM 12/18/2008, you wrote:
how about backward compatibility ?
I have a couple of really old proggie I use all the time, one for envelopes. Pretty sure these are 16bit, was a effort to get them to run in xp.

fp

nothing in 16bit runs in vista64, I don't know about XP64... I read that was very problematic. In fact, I never read anything good about it until I saw Brian's post.

What you can do with modern hardware and 8GB of RAM in Vista 64 is run a XP VM and run anything you need in there. With this much RAM and modern dual and quad core processors there is essentially no lag in a VM as long as you are not doing something like gaming, or HD video editing, or something equally video intensive.

And yes, I agree, Vista can be very annoying and frustrating. But my experience has been that if you are running mulit threaded apps Vista 64 SP1 can be very quick. For example, I had an encoding race between my dual XP32 Xeon 3.4hz 4GB of RAM and my new quad 3.0ghz Vista64 8GB of RAM. I expected somewhere between 40 to 60 percent faster based on the CPU speeds. However, what I got encoding a hour worth of HD using TMPGenc DVD inc Authoring works 4 was

XP32 around 3 hours and forty minutes
Vista 64 55 minutes

of course a lot of this was the CPU but I think all the RAM helped.

At 09:22 AM 12/18/2008, Bryan Seitz Poked the stick with:

--
Tallyho ! ]:8)
Taglines below !

"Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
-Benjamin Franklin, 1759