On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, Brian Weeden wrote:

I've been a big fan on Onkyo for the last 15 years or so.  They are one of
the few low/mid priced receivers that have realistic power amplifier ratings
and current delivery.

Why would you need to replace your speakers?  If you have a 5.1 setup, you
don't need to move to 7.1.  You can still run it in 5.1 mode.

Yeah, I went to Circuit City, they have the Onkyo SR606 which is what I think I'm going to get. It's about $150 more than my budget, but it also will last through everything I'm eventually planning on getting, and it supports sound over HDMI instead of just passthrough (Which I believe means I'd need to use a separate cable for sound?)

If the 506 can get it's sound through HDMI I might get that instead, it's $150 cheaper.

And you're right about speakers. The shape of the speaker connector threw me off. There is no need to replace my current speakers. In fact, I could take my 5.1 system and convert the back speakers into front speakers and use a wireless rear set in the future.

Any of this not make sense?

Christopher Fisk
--
Mal: "Use of a swhat?"