If it's just data files your after you can do a new install of xp.
Just make sure you pick the do not format option.
If you don't need the oridginal xp info you can overwrite the windows
directory, otherwise specify
a different location.  Once installed, copy your data off drive.

Next option is to boot from a live linux cd/dvd & transfer your data, then
do your fresh install.

Richard E. Quilhot C.N.A.
quilh...@gmail.com

Stephen
Leacock<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/stephen_leacock.html>
- "I detest life-insurance agents: they always argue that I shall some
day
die, which is not so."