From: "Bino Gopal" <binogo...@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 21:53:40
To: <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Subject: Re: [H] Need MAJOR help with fubar'ed WinXP install

Mother of cr*p.  So now that I'm facing reality, I think the Win7 USB key
did more than I expected b/c when I'm in the recovery console and go to C:\
and type "dir" I see very few files and dirs and I also see 99,756,855,296
bytes free on a 100GB HD (which had a lot more data on it)... *SIGH*

So I figure Win7 wiped the MBR or something right?  It's also installed and
written a bunch of dirs but no files b/c I assume that's what I prevented
when I aborted the process at 1%...

So I tried fixboot and copying over ntldr and ntdetect.com from WinXP but I
am apparently trying to fix a Win7 install (since as mentioned there's no
Doc Settings dir like in XP, but a Users dir, which I'm sure is Win7
right?)...

So don't I need to do something with some sort of repair program to try and
figure this out (i.e. fixing the MBR and stuff) or is my data all lost at
this point?  Thoughts?

                                                        BINO