Yes, it seems that most modern servers have lots of "perimeter" controls as well as major cpu cooling protection logic. Good luck.
Best,
Duncan

On 04/08/2010 16:23, James Maki wrote:
Reconnected to the original power supply with the same results -- the system
will not boot. Found out it is a failsafe for the fans not being connected.

Thanks,

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com
[mailto:hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf Of Gaffer
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 11:25 AM
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: Re: [H] Problems with HP Proliant DL140

Hi James,

On Thursday 08 April 2010 04:22:41 James Maki wrote:
I purchased a refurbished HP Blade server, Proliant DL140 with dual
3.06 GHz Xeon CPUs. It worked just fine and I was able to install
Windows Server 2008. I had a slim format HP laptop DVD I
was going to
utilize, but the interface was different. In addition, the
server was
LOAD! So I decided to move the server to a different case.

I removed the motherboard and placed in a full tower Antec case and
purchased 2 3U heatpipe equipped heatsinks. When I try to start the
server now, the power light comes on for several seconds and then
shuts down again. The system does not have a speaker so I don't know
if I am getting any beep codes. The only things connected to the
motherboard are the two cpus and power connectors and original power
switch. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this situation?

The original cpu heatsink mounting hardware connected
directly to the
case bottom. The new heatsinks in the new case required a backplate.
Otherwise, it seems I have everything connected in the same
way as it
was in the original blade server case.

Any hints or suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,

Jim Maki
jwm_maill...@comcast.net

Check that the Antec PSU has the same pin connections as the
one in the
server case.

--
Best Regards: