That and a serious defrag using MyDefrag.

On 5/15/2010 6:10 PM, Thane Sherrington wrote:
At 09:26 PM 15/05/2010, Veech wrote:
Thanks Thane.. looking forward to seeing what you think. Yes I have a
bunch of music and photo files that I need to archive on disc or my
external drive. But sometimes things just take too darn long to work
in XP. Desktop icons take a few seconds to load, clicking on Firefox
takes about 10 seconds to open the program, the whole thing feels
sluggish. My OS needs to go on a diet. Used to be that when I clicked
on a program to open it, it would pop up right away. Now it needs to
think for between 5 and 10 seconds.

Well you can start by shutting down extra services and startups. Use
autoruns and look at BlackViper's page to start.