As I upgrage my PC's am I creating GPT drives???? If so, and they work, Fine. Just wondering what I may be doing.
Thank you for your experience.
Duncan

On 07/09/2014 11:52, Greg Sevart wrote:
I'm not at all suggesting that it didn't happen; I'm just making sure that the
rest of the collective knows that this is a freak incident and that it is not a
requirement to do anything special in disk management or otherwise when moving
a GPT disk. I've worked with a lot of GPT disks many different hardware and
operating system configurations--I'm quite certain I would have run in to this
if it were a common occurrence. The root cause for the behavior you experienced
is, at this point, a mystery.

If you have information from an official source prescribing that a GPT disk be
unmounted before powering down (if you're removing a disk live it should always
be removed cleanly, GPT or otherwise) and relocating, I'd be interested to see
it, as I've not yielded anything.

-----Original Message-----
From: Hardware [mailto:hardware-boun...@lists.hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf Of
joeu...@chronic.org
Sent: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 10:19 AM
To: hardw...@lists.hardwaregroup.com
Subject: Re: [H] GPT_disk_moving?!

Well, I'm very glad for you, I'm also lucky in the fact that nothing there was
to critical and/or can be transferred again.
However, this did indeed happen. I also looked up the info as I have described to
everyone & that is a fact. The only other thing I can think of is, I went from
an internal sata port to a USB3 ext sata cable?

Regardless. If you have a GPT drive - UNMOUNT/REMOVE from DISK MGMT! If you forget, DO
NOTHING - plug it back in where it was & then REMOVE/UNMOUNT... This may or may not
apply to UEFI - I don't have UEFI & I don't care to right now.

Regards,
joeuser - Still looking for the 'any' key...

"...now these points of data make a beautiful line..."