Tom Tromey wrote:
"Ben" == Ben Laurie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

A few short & sweet reasons see
http://fpl.cs.depaul.edu/cpitcher/se573/lectures/lecture-07.html#slide013

Ben> So its an optimisation (and therefore optional), right?

Yes.  Though in practice it is probably necessary to get acceptable
performance.

Without a verifier you must track the types of everything on the stack
and in local variables (if you have a verifier you don't need to do
this), and do assignability checks on arguments to all method calls,
qualifying reference for a field lookup, etc.

This might be acceptable for a lightweight JVM, though, so we should rule it out.

Also, curious to know - what about out-of-band verifiers? So, for example, I verify something on my PC, sign it as verified, then run it on a Palm, with no verification?

Cheers,

ben.