Bob wrote:
Some attention DOES need to be paid to speed. If Harmony is consistently 3-5X slower than Sun (which it will be, if there's no JIT and no bytecode verifier and no ahead-of-time compiler), then many Java apps will simply be too slow to run on Harmony.

I'm more interested in the modularity with this question - by the sound of it, the verifier is an optional module.