Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

(for the record, this isn't about "not doing Java" or "not doing JikesRVM", but rather my understanding that we'll need a small C/C++ kernel to host the modules, no matter how they are written, and this is a way to get that going...)

Excuse me if I'm missing something, but wouldn't it be necessary to implement parts of the VM or the class library in native code anyway? I'm thinking about code to access e.g. resources like I/O devices, sound etc.? Or is this discussion C vs Java restricted to the bytecode executing part of the VM?

Tor