I don't know anything about Weldon's situation, but I know many people who, because of their employment situation, are restricted as to what software source code they are permitted to look at and still continue the work they do for their employer.

This is a reason why getting our legal framework right is so important - we want to enable the largest community possible.

geir

On Jul 6, 2005, at 4:30 PM, Baker, Tony wrote:

Uh...

Weldon Washburn, individual contributor, just tipped his hand.  As an
individual contributor, why would you need permission?

tjb

-----Original Message-----
From: Weldon Washburn [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 7:18 AM
To: Robin Garner
Cc: harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Minutes of First Harmony Meeting

On 7/4/05, Robin Garner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I don't know where you get the idea that downloading JikesRVM or any
component thereof 'contaminates' you.

I may be wrong on the contamination issue.  The real issue is that  I
do not have permission to download anything but Apache licensed code.

The e-mail you refer to talks
about redistributing a work derived from a CPL-ed work as part of an
Apache distribution.

Exactly.  Harmony won't bundle non-Apache code with its download.  The
goal is a complete Apache licensed JVM stack that works right out of
the box.  This includes a GC.   If Harmony modularization is
successful, third parties can plug in non-Apache components such as a
GC from Jikes, Rotor, Sun, etc.

While MMTk is a component of JikesRVM, it is maintained by a distinct
subgroup of the JikesRVM community.  If Harmony were to use MMTk, I'm
sure we could make it available under an appropriate license.

In any case, the development model of MMTk is to be portable, as
reflected in the Rotor and JNode ports, and to maintain a common code
base for all platforms it supports.  There would then be no issue of
distributing a derived work.

Can't you just work on the same basis as people are with Classpath -
just proceed as though the license issues will eventually be worked
out ?

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to proceed until the license issues
are worked out.

Regards,
Robin