Hi,

   I did some tests  in order to see which, among MSVC,GCC and DevCpp
compilers yield the code with the best speed performance.

The test is a function that contains pure ANSI C code (no __fastcall or similar)
and doesn't call any system call of the underlying OS.

                           MSVC               GCC                   DevCpp
Arch                    Pentium               Pentium                Pentium

OS                      Win2000            Linux (Knoppix)   Win2000

Compiler 6.0 3.4 5.0
version

speed                  13.4 sec              14.27 sec            14.61 sec
optimization
off

speed 6.48 sec 0.9 sec 1.43 sec
optimization
on

command line     cl  /O2 main.c     gcc -O3 main.c        (*)
when optimiz.
on

(*) I didn't write it down when I did the tests

Unless I'm doing something wrong with MSVC, it seems that
DevCpp and GCC are almost an order of magnitude faster than MSVC.

Enrico