Hi,
  I'd like to help out with supporting the MSVC compiler on Windows.
I'm tied up with work this week, but can take a look at the task from
next Monday.
  Geir, regarding your concerns about MSVC's commercial nature being a
barrier to entry, I am sure that wouldn't be a problem, as the MSVC
optimizing compiler is available as a free download from Microsoft's
website:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=272be09d-40bb-49fd-9cb0-4bfa122fa91b&displaylang=en
  It is only the actual IDE that is commercial, with the Express
Editions estimated to cost $49 per copy (although the betas are free,
as Devanum pointed out).
  It would probably be wise to focus most of the group's initial
efforts on maintaining GCC support, while a few interested people can
work on maintaining  support for other compilers. I believe that the
feedback from the work done on adding compiler compatibility would be
of easier to incorporate if we start early,with the smaller/younger
code base, instead of waiting till later.

- tanuj