You can use "gdb" which is a line debugger. However as much as I DO love the command line...even I am a sucker for a visual debugger...

I haven't done as much C programming as I would have liked to over the last few years. however, if I were abetting man I'd bet on this: https://libre2.adacore.com/gps/

If you do install visual tools under cygwin, you will also need to install X-Windows (X-11).

Good places to look for things: freshmeat.net, gnu.org

Do not worry freshmeat.net is not a porn site...unless you consider open source and/or free software a form of pornography...in which case remember what Potter Stewart said about the subject and don't let anyone tell you different :-)

-Andy

What about debugging tools? What would you suggest to get started with?

Rivaaj Jumna wrote:

Hi

This may be a bit off topic but what does a harmony developers desktop

look

like? My reason for asking is that I've been groomed on developing using

an

ide in the windows environemnt, Visual Studio 6.0 and the like.

What sort of tools would one use on a Linux environment, eclipse cdt
perhaps? I'm not afraid of command lines, :-) but they're a barrier to

entry

for someone like myself who would just like to explore the code base.

Regards
Rivaaj

Grab "cygwin" and install a bash shell for windows, the GCC compiler,
automake, make and vi. Do not install emacs because it has a speech
impediment.

There is a certain bias I have that tends to think that visual
programmers do not tend to be able to write compilers and the such. If
command lines are a barrier to entry, wait till you meet hexcodes and
relocatable memory addressing. However that may just be that I'm a
command line junkie and a bit of a techno-bigot.

-Andy