Hi Tim,

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 22:29 +0000, Tim Ellison wrote:
> It is worth noting that many of us are here specifically due to the
> terms of the ASL

When we started our harmony collaboration project half of the people
signing the announcement were from projects that are distributed under
terms different from the ASL. But we all felt we should endorse it since
we wanted to make this project into as large a free software ecosystem
around a free alternative to the proprietary j2se implementations as
possible. For several of us the ASL is even too restrictive to be used
in our own projects. That is why the harmony project encourages all
contributions to be available under terms that are also GPL-compatible.
At the same time we are working from the inside to influence the apache
rules to allow us to more effectively work together and lobby the
various foundation boards to clear up any (perceived) license
incompatibilities. Lets make Harmony into that collaborative project
that we envisioned when we started it and be open to the whole
community.

Cheers,

Mark