On Nov 9, 2005, at 6:17 AM, Mark Wielaard wrote:

Hi,

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 16:13 +0000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
Tim Ellison wrote:

I'm delighted to be able to make a code contribution to the Harmony
project on behalf of IBM.

Let's the harmonization process begin :-)

Right! I have been thinking on how to move forward with this. And I am
excited to see some core class library code since that is where my
expertise is. Obviously we should be able to extend this easily with
parts of the GNU Classpath library like awt, beans, corba, crypto,
swing, sql, most of javax, imageio, naming, etc and the 1.5 additions we have plus the generic classes from the classpath-generics branch. At the
same time we can merge the kernel classes to get the best of both
implementations. But it seems we still have the original roadblock to
harmony cooperation, the incompatible licenses. Since this contribution is marked as ASLv2 which is incompatible with GPLv2 so we won't be able
to share this easily. So lets try to get that away now.

Would IBM be willing to assign this code to the FSF for inclusion in GNU
Classpath or contribute it under a GPL-compatible license like MIT/X,
W3C, etc. so that it can be mixed and merged with the GNU Classpath core
library and used in larger GPL-compatible works like gcj, kaffe, etc?

Mark, speaking with my IBM hat on, I will say that as I promised yesterday to you, I'll certainly get a discussion started inside IBM, but can't answer this now.

Also, please understand that sometimes things can move very slowly.

geir

That would be really fun. I remember when I joined the GNU Classpath
group and we merged the libgcj and classpath code bases. That was really a good way to lift up both projects since you can compare ideas and code
to create something that is bigger then the original things. And you
will always learn things from trying to merge two similar but slightly
different code bases. I am looking forward to going through each of the core packages to see which implementation is best if we can get the this
license issue out of the way.

Cheers,

Mark

[EMAIL PROTECTED]