On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 14:50 -0800, Leo Simons wrote:
> "As a special exception, for Classpath we have decided to make all the
> problems described at
>
>   http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
>
> go away."
>
> And then in proper lawyer terms.
>
> Heh. Very interesting, very pragmatic! Mark, do you think there's
> any chance of making this happen?

IANAL, but my understanding is that there are two ways to make "all the
problems" go away:
a) Modify the Apache license to remove the "additional restrictions", or
b) Modify the GPL to remove the "additional restrictions" requirement.

Only the copyright holders of the Apache licensed code can do (a), which
doesn't seem to be what you're proposing.

As for (b), this would effectively make GNU Classpath incompatible with
GPL licensed code, because we still have Apache's "additional
restrictions" to worry about.  This is a non-starter for a GNU project.

I like the creative thinking though.

AG