Anthony Green wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 01:05 -0500, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>
>>Anthony,
>>
>>People who are willing to go the GPL route for their code have lots of
>>avenues as u know...
>

> (It's not the GPL, it's the GNU Classpath license!)

...and there are other bone fide open source projects that are important
to Harmony under any number of licenses.  Obvious examples being in the
VM-space such as Kaffe (GPL) and Jikes (IBM public license).  I believe
we should play nicely with all of them.

> The point of my request is to make sure contributors are informed.
>
> Of course, I'm working under the assumption that GNU Classpath is
> important to the Harmony project.  Perhaps it isn't.  But, if it is, I
> think it makes sense to inject some advertising for GNU Classpath into
> the Harmony contribution process, because that will be the most
> convenient time for people to consider and arrange for dual licensing.

I fail to see how anything other than full license reciprocity will work
in practice.  Code that can only be passed in one 'direction' (Classpath
-> Harmony or Harmony -> Classpath) will be forked as soon as the code
is enhanced or patched by the recipient unless those contributions are
also multi-licensed.  At best it will be a book-keeping nightmare.

It sounds to me like Leo, Cliff, et al have a good handle on the issues,
and they are doing the right thing by working them out for the generic case.

>>>No, I'm asking that the Harmony contribution process include a step
>>>asking the contributor to dual license their code (along with the
>>>reasoning).  And then the contributor can make an informed decision at
>>>an appropriate time.
>>>
>>>AG

>>--
>>Davanum Srinivas : http://wso2.com/blogs/