Mark Hindess wrote:

On 27/02/06, Jean-frederic Clere <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
But that's way different than APR for the class lib portlib.
So you have to create a apr.IA32 class lib, don't you?

Well, that's what I was thinking - though I'm not so sure that $arch
should be something that specific.

Initially at least I don't think we should be making a choice between
using apr.IA32 and writing platform specific natives.  I think we
should continue with what we have until such a time that apr becomes
the better choice.

I am not sure that is the best idea.
Apr prevents losing time writing code twice (or #defining everywhere) and that is a lot of work to APRized a project in late state. Starting with apr asap probably will break everything for some time but will spare a lot of time in future... The biggest problem is to have a graphical library that works with apr or that is written using apr.

 So what we'd need now is a mechanism to override
the automatic choice of "platform".  I wouldn't be too surprised if
someone decided to create "platforms" for the other two (?) choices of
windows implementation - cygwin native and cygwin w/o cygwin.dll.
??? native windoze and cygwin, or do I miss something?

It might be useful to develop some tests to prove the natives for
platforms that don't yet have VM support.

Regards,
Mark.

--
Mark Hindess <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>