Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> What are you voting against, exactly?
>
> I don't grok why this is a problem.  You'll download the jars *once*
> (until a version changes), and with the exception of the MSVC runtime
> dll, it's automated for you.

[Just explaining my position, not trying to change your mind].

I'm mainly voting against having our trunk dependent on remote
(non-Apache) sites availability.  For example, what if libXYZ-1.02.jar
became unavailable tomorrow (assuming the trunk depended on it)?  Maybe
Harmony is the only project using it, and the author went bankrupt, or
more likely, lost his site because he/she graduated from school, and
that person wasn't aware Harmony used his/her open-source stuff.  I'll
let it to your imagination to come up with other likely scenarios.  In
such case, our trunk would break.  I don't see how temporarily re-(?)
"distributing" open-source stuff is a problem, but I'm not a lawyer, so
I'll trust Apache's lawyers on this.

Yet, I'll admit that the build system is dealing with this issue in a
rather clean way, in that a separate ant file is used for the download,
and the main build file does not depend on downloading from remote sites.

And just as a note: I have no problem living in democracy, and not
always being on the majority side.  A few discussions here and there are
key to coming up with better ideas, as long as discussions remain
civilized. :-)

Etienne