Enrico Migliore wrote:
> does the MSVC port library support the windowing system of Windows?

No (but I can recommend SWT as a cross-platform windowing model ;-) )

> And yet, what happened to the proposal of using the Apache Portable
> Runtime as an interface to the native layer?

I believe it remains a proposal.  Artem Aliev did some work on using APR
as a portability layer (by coding the Harmony portlib to APR) in late
February, and reported his findings to the list[1].  AFAIK nobody has
continued this work.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200602.mbox/[EMAIL
 PROTECTED]