Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> This thread was a long read :)
>
> First,  I'm all for using Jetty as our test server (I think we talked
> about this a long time ago...).  We could even use Tomcat, but my
> experience in the past was that Jetty was very easy to emebed.  By
> default, there should be no external dependency to build, test and run
> Harmony (i.e. I can do it on a plane - that means that no external
> server is required.)
>
> Second, I think that we don't lose much in terms of flexibility, and
> gain an awful lot in functionality.  Writing tests is very easy, and we
> probably can control anything we want to for custom stuff.
>
> Third, we get location transparency.  Our isolated-system-default
> notwithstanding, we certainly want to test over a network (localhost
> doesn't cut it), so we should easily be able to run the ant target that
> runs the server on a remote machine so we can test things like real
> network failure and interruption (IOW, reach around and pull the network
> cable out...), setting a property or -ish for the address of the test
> target server (default is localhost)
>
> Given that the argument is long and winding, can people do a checkpoint
> summary about how they are feeling?

Does 'exhausted' count ;-)

FWIW I also agree that using Jetty embedded in the tests is a good idea,
with custom handlers etc. to force some test case scenarios.  Where it
doesn't work we can do stubs.

I assume that we can have a test script config file to define the server
location.  We can have the default mode be starting the Jetty server on
localhost (a.k.a. 'airplane mode' <g>), then if you want to run the
server remotely the tests config would have to be updated...