Anton Luht wrote:
Good day,

I assume that we can have a test script config file to define the server
location.  We can have the default mode be starting the Jetty server on
localhost (a.k.a. 'airplane mode' <g>), then if you want to run the
server remotely the tests config would have to be updated...

It seems to me that remote server is not requires in HTTP tests. The
only difference between local HTTP server and the remote one is that
the first is reached via loopback and the latter - via "real" net.
Testing of network connections is out of scope of HTTP functionality
tests so local server shoud be enough.

How do you "pull the wire"? I think that having that option for testing things would be nice.

Remote server has obvious drawbacks:
- if we compare in tests data fetched by via HTTP to some expected
result, it's likely that contents of remote site (say, apache.org)
will change and tests will fail
- some companies and providers don't allow to connect from internal
network to the Internet directly - 'telnet ... 80' will fail. The
direct connection functionality cannot be tested in this environment.

Remote server is not required even for proxy tests - Jetty can be
configured to run as proxy server.

The only problem with local server is choosing a local port to bind to
- port 80 is often used by another daemon. Test should try to start
Jetty on a free port and tell its number to the URLConnection test.

Autonomically? I don't think so - I think it should be a configuration parameter set by the tester so things are repeatable....

My opinion is that remote server should not be used in tests - it's
problematic and doesn't give any advantages.

It's a choice here. I agree it should not be *required*, and that by default, one should be able to run the test suite on an airplane when the airline isn't Lufthansa :)