This is still work in progress, but thought it would be good to give a
quick update on where I am at the moment:

- I've tweaked the launcher to support running Java-based tools.
There are still some limitations (see below), but the idea is that if
the launcher is running as 'java' or 'javaw' it does "the usual thing",
but if it is running as another name it will:
 (a) put tools.jar onto the classpath,
 (b) deal with the -J args properly, and
 (c) invoke a type called  org.apache.harmony.tools.<exename>.Main

This means we can use the same launcher for all our Java-based tools.

- I've implemented a wrapper to the Eclipse Compiler for Java(ECJ).
The wrapper is called org.apache.harmony.tools.javac.Main, and I've put
it into a 'tools' module.  The wrapper simply loads ECJ and delegates
the compile requests.

If you want to try using our new javac tool:
 1. do a normal Harmony build
 2. compile the modules/tools code into tools.jar
 3. grab the Eclipse compiler (ant -f make/depends.xml download)
 4. put the tools.jar and ecj_3.2RC5.jar into jre/bin
 5. copy jre/bin/java to jre/bin/javac

Now you can run javac.

Even better, if you want to help me complete it (or start work on
another tool) here are the things left to do/limitations:

 - Since our launcher can switch VMs on the command line it assumes the
VMs are directly accessible in subdirectories, so the launcher only
works in jre/bin, not from a jdk-style bin directory.  Fixing this
requires a simple library load path tweak in the launcher code, and very
possibly dealing with the harmony.properties messages.

- For now, the o.a.h.tools.javac.Main wrapper looks for the compiler in
a hard-coded JAR filename (ecj_3.2RC5.jar).  Just wondering whether to
embed that JAR in the tools.jar, or look for the compiler in *.jar, or ...?

- Once I've flushed out any remaining bugs I need to hook the tools
module into the build system so that tools.jar gets built along with
everything else.

- The launcher code needs some love, IMHO it could be cleaned up quite a
bit.

Just shout if you want to take on some of this stuff with me, you'd be
warmly welcomed <g>.

Tim Ellison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
IBM Java technology centre, UK.