I found the reason - tests expect NPE when valueOf(null) is invoked but IAE
is thrown instead. For example,

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
at org.apache.harmony.tests.java.lang.EnumTest$Sample.valueOf(EnumTest.java
:22)
at org.apache.harmony.tests.java.lang.EnumTest.test_valueOfLjava_lang_String
(EnumTest.java:113)
at java.lang.reflect.AccessibleObject.invokeV(AccessibleObject.java:205)

Thanks,
Stepan.