Nathan Beyer wrote:

> [...]

I meant "all our problems" :)   I've been suggesting being open to
TestNG for a while now, for the reason that it's "second generation",
written by people I know and trust who have had to use it in anger -
they were scratching their own itch.  I like a bunch of small things,
like not having to extend a base class, dependent test methods,
pluggability, parameterized tests,  and the annotations, but I haven't
used it -it's all academic for me so far.

So while I like the annotations, and expect we can use them effectively,
I have an instinctive skepticism of annotations right now because in
general (in general in Java), I'm not convinced we've used them enough
to grok good design patterns.

Now since I still haven't read the thread fully, I'm jumping to
conclusions, taking it to the extreme, etc etc, but my thinking in
writing the above is that if we bury everything about our test
'parameter space' in annotations, some of the visible organization we
have now w/ on-disk layout becomes invisible, and the readable
"summaries" of aspects of testing that we'd have in an XML metadata
document (or whatever) also are hard because you need to scan the
sources to find all instances of annotation "X".

Anyway, I wanted this to be a short note to address your concern, but I
don't seem to be able to do that :)  More later.