Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
Thanks for all the comments - I know this will be an exciting part of
our project ;)

(There were no comments...)

Anyway, I checked in into enhanced/buildtest.  In trunk, you should be
able to :

  ant setup

and have the almost the thing install and

  ant

just kicks it off and runs it.

Hello Geir,

It seems that JAVA_HOME is required by cc/cruisecontrol.sh on my Ubuntu :-) Do I miss something? Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Richard.

I say "almost" because

1) you need to manually get the IBM J9 VM and install it into
cc/projects/classlib/trunk after you manually run 'ant' once to setup
the deploy/ directory.  In fact, I think we should put the
deploy/jdk/jre skeleton in place in SVN for this to make it easier.

2) there's a problem on windows - the full setup fails during the
checkout of classlib, even though the 'subtarget' to do the checkout
works just fine.  I suspect there's some memory problem or such, but I
got tired of staring at it.

This really is a 'proof of concept' sketch for comment.  Immediately,
I'd like to set CC sending mail to our lists, and then figure out some
way of aggregating the information into a webpage or wiki page.  Maybe
wiki is going to be easier to start..

geir

Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
Aside from being distracted by my new macbook pro dual core intel
wonderbox, I was playing with seeding a build/test/ci infrastructure,
and want to solicit comments before I check in something.

I call this a seed because I know there's a lot of interest in a richer
framework for perf/stabillity/unit testing, code coverage, etc, and the
key is to make it easy for anyone to get, and propose additions to...

The top-level goal was to have something that anyone can checkout, do
some minor configuration, and get running, so we can have a rich
platform matrix for Harmony testing that's community-based.  Sure, we'll
run it on Apache hardware too at some point, but it must be community
owned, community created, etc, with the Apache instance just one in the
matrix.

I figure that we'll have :

1)  some infrastructure you can checkout and run

2) a target mail address/list for result/status messages that we accept
from anyone in the community that "registers" with us (IOW, people write
in and say they are doing it on platform XYZ, and we add them....)

3) Some kind of system that gathers the info and presents a status page
on the website so people can review history and such.

I had a few soft 'requirements' in my head when I started....

1) I wanted to be able to build a system so that for the most part

     svn co https://......./enhanced/buildtestinfra

will get you everything you need to run.

2) I wanted to  be able to parameterize the ci/test run  via some kind
of  external properties  in order that everyone is running the same test
config.  Examples of these parameters include the platform you are
testing on (RedHat Fedora Core v1.1), mail information like return
address, mail server to send through, etc...

3) I want it to be flexible so whatever comes down the pike can be
incorporated.

I looked at both continuum and cruise control.  Both seem to be
glorified CRON programs, with the point of just running a set of tasks
over and over and reporting on them.  I went back and forth and decided
that for what I wanted to do, cruise control seemed a better fit.  It
let me do things like create dependencies between projects (only run B
if A completes successfully), and seemed to be easier to run our
projects  as they are, w/o needing special kick-off scripts and such.

My goal is to check in later today after some nips and tucks.  It's
simple, it's primitive, and because I don't know cruise control very
well, it's probably wrong.    But it's been working all weekend, and
aside from the fact that my )@[EMAIL PROTECTED] ubuntu box is under enough weird
memory stress that fork() fails, it's cute to watch.

So first, does this sound reasonable?

Second, what approach should we take for recording and summarizing
across a whole range of people running this?  I'd like to keep the mail
stream coming, as I think that's a great way to permanently track. But based on that... maybe a little impl of James or something running on a
solaris zone that eats email and writes to a db?