Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
> I tried to use it. It is OK, but I have some comments on it. First of all,
> let me describe as I see the testing process:
>
> - for developers:
> Before the commit of new feature/ fix the developer should run some
> 'pre-integration tests' (it may be unit tests) to be sure that workspace
> will not broken by commit. If developer have more than 1 platform it will
> nice to run these tests on different platforms.
> It is a base testing infrastructure for any project and Harmony already has
> it (for both - vm and api).

That is the assumption, right?  Every developer should already be doing
this.

> Also, the "cruise control" systems on the target platforms over
> 'pre-integration tests' will be very useful just to check that the current
> workspace is OK (not all developers can check fixes on all target
> platforms).

Right

> - for other community members (all peoples who want to help):
> If somebody wants to help to run tests he should download only the binary
> form of HDK, tests and script(s) to run it. Than he run all tests and
> upload/ emails results back. Of cause, these scripts should require minimum
> external tools (for example, 'ant' only).
> It is may be one time action for this member or time-to-time (depends on
> his
> wishes).
>
> In this context seems a little bit discourteous to ask users to use the
> cruise control, svn, c/c++ compilers etc to run Harmony tests. On other
> side, for developers your system is a little bit excessive.

I don't agree that it's so black and white.  There's a valid point in
that some people might want to volunteer to run things, and that we can
minimize the tooling requirements.  But that can be solved easily :

1) we produce a snapshot of buildtest/
2) we add another configuration that fetches an HDK and runs the tests

(Actually, this is a good idea, and I look forward to seeing your patch!)

Seriously, that's not a bad idea, and it would only require having ant
and Java.  No need for SVN or other tools.

> - for testing engineer (or somebody from developers):
> Looking through the result reports for different platforms, tries to
> reproduce detected failures and propose fixes for them.
>
> Of cause, it is my thoughts only and may be it does not true, but I want to
> try to prepare testing scripts based on HDK (or snapshots of workspace) and
> tests archives.

it's not an either-or though.  See if you can consider using the
testbuild config - with a combination of a new ant target and different
config for CC - that does what you suggest - fetches  the HDK and runs
against it..

geir