On Friday 22 September 2006 14:31 Egor Pasko wrote:
> what makes me really nervous is that I cannot debug in GDB on Linux
> (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
>
> When GDB starts, it becomes broken right after the start:
> [New Thread 1080397952 (LWP 13879)]
> [New Thread 1083603888 (LWP 13882)]
> Cannot find user-level thread for LWP 13879: generic error
>
> Did anybody come across this problem recently? I googled a little, but
> could not find any valuable comments. I remember, there was no such
> problem in older days!! Is that our new ThreadManager that does things
> like this? or is it something else?

I've seen in another thread. The problem with gdb is caused because process
reexecs itself with new environment (there is no other way known to tell
dynamic linker to use a library path). This is new launcher feature necessary
to get rid of java shell script and use a real executable.

Ivan Volosyuk investigated the conditions when launcher performs execing
itself to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH and it appears (unless fixed recently) that you
need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=<HDK path>/bin/:<HDK path>/bin/default. Don't
forget a tailing slash in the first path :)

Anyway, to get the correct LD_LIBRARY_PATH which launcher wants you can get it
from /proc/`pidof java`/environ if you launch a simple java program and catch
its reexeced environment. If LD_LIBRARY_PATH contents is equal to what
launcher wants, reexecing doesn't happen and this allows normal debugging.

I think we should document this since it is going to stay for a long time and
is really required for development on Linux.