Here's a reference that I found.

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-11/msg01568.html

Here's a link to ISO C 1999 standard. Look at section 5.1.1.2, item #3.

http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n1124.pdf

Mike Ringrose

On 10/13/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Weldon Washburn wrote:

>> Have you tried it on another version?
>> No I have not tried it on another version.  If Mike Ringrose is correct
>> about the ISO spec, the basic problem is that MSVC compiler is not ISO
>> compliant.  I have hit this specific problem multiple times over the
>> years.
>> That is, code developed on windows laptop w/o a blank new line at the
end
>> will not compile on gcc.
>

> No I have not tried it on another version.  If Mike Ringrose is correct
> about the ISO spec, the basic problem is that MSVC compiler is not ISO
> compliant.  I have hit this specific problem multiple times over the
years.
> That is, code developed on windows laptop w/o a blank new line at the
end
> will not compile on gcc.
>
> The real issue is that there are a bunch of "minor" incompatibilities
> between MSVC and gcc.  I would not recommend holding one's breath
waiting
> for them to go away.  My approach to the above is to simply test on both
> linux and windows before committing.

If it turns out to be a big deal, we can simply add a pre-commit target
to the build that checks for things like that.  It could also check for
things like tabs.  If possible, it could be a pre-commit hook for svn,
but if not, in the build would be useful for those creating patches...