While I appreciate Mr. Sheynin's perspective, I must disagree with him
that HaSafran is not an appropriate forum for political discussion.
Librarianship is inherently a political profession, and it seems to me
that we must engage in these difficult questions even though we will often
disagree about them.  Librarians work with books, and even more
significantly, select and champion or denounce books, and libraririans
serve communities of people.  Books are political objects (among many
other things), and patrons are political beings.  To ignore the difficult
political issues that librarians must face is, to my mind, extremely
dangerous, if not impossible.

June Cummins
June Cummins, Assistant Professor
Department of English and Comparative Literature
San Diego State University
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

HaSafran - The Electronic Forum of the Association of Jewish Libraries
Submissions for HaSafran, send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Questions, problems, complaints, compliments;-) send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AJL HomePage http://www.JewishLibraries.org/