Well said.
Madeleine Cohen Oakley
 > While I appreciate Mr. Sheynin's perspective, I must disagree with him
 > that HaSafran is not an appropriate forum for political discussion.
 > Librarianship is inherently a political profession, and it seems to me
 > that we must engage in these difficult questions even though we will often
 > disagree about them.  Librarians work with books, and even more
 > significantly, select and champion or denounce books, and libraririans
 > serve communities of people.  Books are political objects (among many
 > other things), and patrons are political beings.  To ignore the difficult
 > political issues that librarians must face is, to my mind, extremely
 > dangerous, if not impossible.
 >
 > June Cummins

HaSafran - The Electronic Forum of the Association of Jewish Libraries
Submissions for HaSafran, send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Questions, problems, complaints, compliments;-) send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AJL HomePage http://www.JewishLibraries.org/