Hi, Folks.

I also had a great time at the conference and felt warmly welcomed as a
newcomer.  Thank you to all who worked so hard to put together a very good
conference.

I'd like to follow up on one of Shelli's suggestion, her first one. My
presentation at the conference was a Powerpoint presentation.  I had
printed out one copy of each slide in case the technology failed, but these
paper copies really wouldn't have done the trick and had the technology
failed, I probably would not have delivered a presentation at all.  So I'd
like to suggest advice for future conference organizers.   This is not at
all a criticism of this year's conference.  We are in a transitional period
when it comes to technology-based presentations, and it will take years
before people can assume that they can rely fully on the connections they
need to deliver these presentations.

In the meantime, future conference organizers should be aware the trend is
toward the increasing use of technology. More and more of us will be
developing presentations that rely on technology, and I think that shortly
such presentations will be the norm.  The hotels are very much benefitting
from this trend as they charge exorbitant rates for the rental of the
necessary equipment. But we'll still be making lots of Powerpoint
presentations (or their future incarnations).

The hotel tech people in Brooklyn were wonderful.  They were right there to
assist me in setting up and showing my presentation, and they were very
helpful when I left my mouse in the room and didn't realize it until hours
later.  (They located and retrieved it for me.)  These guys were
personable, kind, and most importantly, competent.  They got the job done.

Things would have gone better for me if I had known I needed to bring a
certain adapter.  Because I didn't have it, my presentation lost some of
its formatting.  In the future, it will be very helpful if those giving
technology-based presentations know just what the hotel can provide and
what they need to supply on their own.   One organization I belong to has
started to use a form that presenters must fill out if they are using
technology.  The organizers then get back to the presenters to let them
know what they need to bring, or what the venue can and cannot
accommodate.  In short, there should be a liaison between presenters and
the tech people at the venue.  This is a big job, and it may be that
someone has to be especially appointed to it.  But the more planning
happens in advance, the less likely it is that the technology will
fail.  This advice of course applies to all conferences and meetings, not
just AJL.

I don't mean to sound so negative and apologize for giving so much space to
what might seem to be a complaint.  But I honestly mean it as a suggestion
for the future, and that's why I'm posting it here rather than just
mentioning it in the evaluation form.  I think this is advice that
potentially affects us all.

Thanks for listening.

Take care,
June Cummins

June Cummins, Assistant Professor
Department of English and Comparative Literature
San Diego State University
[EMAIL PROTECTED]