June--

Thanks for your valuable suggestions in how to "interface" with the hotel
on technology issues.  My bit of advice to those who would like to make
presentations in the future is to look at all the options of how to
present, and not just jump right in to a high level of
technology.  Electronic technology can be exceptionally helpful and is
growing more sophisticated, but I would caution prospective presenters to
consider all the options, including going "low tech", i.e. just presenting
your paper straight, without visual components as all.  I debated within
myself all year about what tools to use as I did my research and prepared
my presentation.  I considered power-point, slides, a CD with images, and
consulted with colleagues more knowledgable about technologicl options than
I. I then happened on an an article in the "Chronicle of Higher Education"
on the pitfalls of making presentations at conferences.  It was an
embarassing read, as I have, at one time or another, violated all the
"don'ts" enumerated in the article.  In addition to the usual common sense
wisdom on presenting, the author also advised not relying too heavily on
power-point presentations, that they are helpful in some instances, but not
in others.  The author then very much surprised me by suggesting that there
was still a place for papers presented without technological support at
all.  This was reinforced by a recent article in "American Libraries",
which also warned of the overuse of power-point.

I eventually chose to present without visuals at all, with the exception of
a few copies I passed out, showing the problems connected with the rare
books I was discussing.  Those of you who came to hear me can judge better
than I how successful I was.  One thing the decision forced me to do was to
spend the last month before conference just rehearsing and editing my
paper.  I also had my wife video-tape it, and I watched myself deliver
it.  In addition, I tried to be very careful to use ample verbal clues to
indicate the direction of my argument, and such basics as on what part of
the paper I was focussing at any given moment.  As a result, I was able to
concentrate exclusively on what I had to say, and didn't have to concern
myself with such details as an "adapter".  My decision would certainly not
be advisable for everyone, but it worked for me, and I would do it again
for the type of paper I presented.  I don't happen to have the references
for the two articles I mention, but can easily get them if anyone would
like to read the articles.  The Chronicle article appeared within the last
six months, and the American Libraries article in a recent issue.

Dan Rettberg
Rare Book and Manuscript Bibliographer
Klau Library
Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion
Cincinnati, Ohio

[EMAIL PROTECTED]