― Attachment links are at the end of this email ―

Em 02-07-2014 14:14, Al Matthews escreveu:
> Ah .. I see .. nix would obviate much of that work. Thanks for the
> reference.
>

> On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 9:09 AM, Al Matthews <prolep...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Miguel,
>>
>> I agree that this sounds right. In practice, what do you imagine that
>> implies in terms of system sprawl? I mean, I would imagine one is at least
>> tripling or quadrupling the Haskell footprint.

Yes, that and cpu cycles wasted in compiling is the price to pay for no
cabal hell. Storage is cheap these days, though...

>> I'm afraid this is probably edging up to a general question about art
>> preservation maintenance. I don't mean to go off-topic.
>>
>> But for instance, supposing one feels obligated to stash the OS as well --
>> say one works in a Linux that has a rolling release schedule -- then
>> infrastructure grows in turn.
>>
>> At such point, I suppose one could archive snapshots of systems with
>> little Haskell environments per-piece. One VM could archive a number of
>> pieces if each were of a modest size.

nix would make this quite easy probably, since it makes it quite easy to
replicate a whole system configuration. Also, within just one system you
can have a haskell setup per project completelly separate. There are
some caveats. I did have issues when using cabal with nix, it seems
cabal cannot find the libraries correctly in some situations, which
means you should just use ghc instead (either directly or via
nix-build). Also, nix does not solve the problem of cabal hell directly,
since it just keeps a fixed seleciton of haskell packages (like
stackage) in it's repository, if you can't use the version there either
you have to add the versions you need to the repository (through some
.nix files) or you have to use cabal sandboxes and let cabal figure it out.

best,
Miguel
Haskell Art now contains the following file

    http://lurk.org/r/file/7pebO1VXzI5gtxXYQicdDXuBd1E-8G-2thMnfr
    Name: signature.asc
    Type: application/pgp-signature
    Size: 0KB