On 29/11/2008, at 11:49, Claus Reinke wrote:

Yes, it is very difficult. A sensible API for a standard array library is something that needs more research. FWIW, I don't know of any other language that has what I'd like to see in Haskell. C+ + probably comes closest but they have it easy - they don't do fusion.

I assume you've looked at SAC? http://www.sac-home.org/

Yes. They have it even easier - they don't have polymorphism, they don't have higher-order functions, they don't have boxing and laziness and in a sense, they don't even do general-purpose programming, just scientific algorithms. And they have no existing language to integrate their stuff with. This is not to imply that their work isn't interesting and valuable; IMO, it just doesn't really help us when it comes to designing a Haskell array library.

Roman